At St Charles Catholic Primary School, all children in Reception and Year 1 are taught phonics daily. In Year 2, phonics is done in conjunction with learning about spelling, grammar and the use of punctuation. We use a system called ‘Letters & Sounds’ which teaches what is called ‘synthetic phonics’.
Children in Key Stage 2 may continue with aspects of ‘Letters & Sounds’ if required. It is broken up into 6 phases. Children are taught systematically throughout each stage.
What is Synthetic Phonics?
- How sounds are represented by letters
- How to decode letters to say sounds
- How to blend (synthesise) sounds to read words
Children are systematically taught:
- letter-sound correspondences
- to read words by blending sounds
- to spell by identifying sounds in words ( segmenting spoken words )
- to form letters